Kate is a senior digital strategist specializing in UX and sales. She has coordinated client and production teams to deliver over $3M in project work. Clients include Walmart, Anthem, Chicago Community Trust, Coyote Logistics, and Smart Power Illinois.
Mightybytes is a digital firm that creates gorgeous, effective websites and software. As a B Corp, Mightybytes serves organizations that make the world a better place.
- Tactical management of all client accounts, including identifying needs, architecting solutions, and overseeing implementation.
- Defined scope, requirements, budgets and timelines for all project work.
- Implemented a new business development workflow that landed $1.25 million in business. As a result, 2015 was the company’s highest annual revenue in its 18-year history.
- Developed agile-style project management process to better manage scope creep, which dramatically increased our ability to bill for time worked.
- Managed a 14 person team, including performance evaluation, hiring and firing.
- Won four awards for excellence in web design for client work.
Senior Project Manager, 2013-2015
- Managed web design and software build projects for multiple clients including YMCA of the USA, Coyote Logistics, Dharma Merchant Services, the Illinois Green Economy Network and Feeding America.
- Collaborated with clients and production team to define project requirements. Created product backlogs, user flows, prototypes, timelines, budgets and reports
- Grew accounts by $480,000 across seven projects.
- Developed digital strategy metrics model to connect client business goals, audience goals, content and KPIs. Model now used in all project work and featured in book co-authored with company founder: Return on Engagement.
Technology Project Manager (2010-2013)
CRM Strategy, Twaweza (multinational development aid organization)
Conducted needs assessment of Customer Relationship Management software functions required to coordinate grant-making across offices in Dar es Salaam, Nairobi and Kampala. Developed specifications, identified CRM systems with the optimal mix of low costs, local support and functionality.
Project Manager, Metro Chicago Information Center
Planned and implemented the launch of the Apps for Metro Chicago competition with Mayor Emanuel and Governor Quinn’s offices. Co-wrote O’Reilly Media book on civic apps competitions.
Senior Client Lead, Saatchi & Saatchi (2007-2010)
Clients: Walmart USA, Walmart Canada, Alston+Bird, Anthem.
Previous positions: Strategist, Field Trainer
- Led 5 person project teams to develop and implement strategy, content, delivery and assessment for $2 million in internal marketing campaigns for Walmart Canada home office and stores.
- Coordinated internal web development, design and video production teams to produce supporting materials including intranet sites, video, posters, written collateral, e-mails, blog posts, games,webinars and awards.
- Presented project strategy and results to C-suite executives at Walmart USA, Walmart Canada, Anthem and Alston + Bird.
- Managed $250,000 - $500,000 project budgets on time and on budget.
- Developed a new web-based system to measure and share impact of change management programs that Saatchi & Saatchi spun off as a separate product offering.
Communications, National Geographic Channel (2003-2004)
Supported publicity campaigns for Return to Titanic, Worlds Apart, Be the Creature, Taboo, and Crittercam. Press releases, maintaining press contact lists, coordinating talent appearances.
Co-Author, Return on Engagement: Content Strategy and Web Design Techniques for Digital Marketing
Contributing Editor, Data + Design: A Simple Introduction to Preparing and Visualizing Information
Lead Author, Civic Apps Competition Handbook for O’Reilly Media
Training & Facilitation
- Facilitated eight-week internal digital strategy training for management team at Abelson Taylor.
- Facilitated internal engagement training sessions for more than 2,500 Walmart employees and 100 attorneys and staff with Alston+Bird.
- Staffed experiential training exercises to help U.S. intelligence agencies think more creatively about catching terrorists.
- Facilitated team and trust building sessions for U.S. Army Iraq War veterans.
- Led seven multi-week backpacking and sea kayaking trips for at-risk teens.
- Kellogg School of Business - B Corp Panel
- DePaul University guest lecturer, Writing Digital Content. Course text: Return on Engagement.
- Content Jam 2014 - Integrating Content Strategy and User Experience
- Content Jam 2013 - Making Sense of Performance Metrics
- FreeGeek Software Freedom Day 2012 – Building an Open Data Political Coalition
- Code for America IdeaHack, 2012 – Keynote: Cross-pollination and Open Data.
- Lake Forest MBA guest lecturer Strategies for Sustainable Business Course.
- TechWeek 2011 – “Apps for Metro Chicago: The Data.”
- Sustainovate 2009 – “Five Rules for Effective Communication about Sustainability.”
- Walmart Women of Influence Conference 2007 – “Women and PSP: Making a Difference.”
Bachelor of Arts in Political Science, Cum Laude, Colorado College.
Coursework for Sustainable Business MBA at Presidio School of Management.